Saturday, June 2, 2012

Seeing Past Mistakes


Brook called me at work to say, “Kelly (her friend) won him and her mom won’t let her keep him. My teacher will take him on Monday. I knew you wouldn’t mind.”
            I remember coming home from work in 2006 after receiving this call only to find this tiny, black and white, flopsy flop of a fur ball.  Feeling sorry for this thing and considering its emotional well-being, I agreed to keep it. I thought of its feeling abandoned – going from person to person. Plus, Brook said that it was the runt of the litter. I knew nothing of caring for a rabbit but I was open to learning. Going to the Utah State Faire in Salt Lake was a class field trip for their class in animal husbandry. Oh my! My sweet daughter had me for a fool - literally.          
            We lived in a two bedroom, upstairs apartment that was shared by 3 adult cats. Our pet rats of several years had recently died. Their cage was kept under the kitchen table which was used as a desk and catch-all.
            We started out by letting Jack – as the rabbit came to be known – hop around our home. Hearing that a rabbit could be litter trained he was introduced to the cat’s litter box. At night we put up a child’s gate to separate the kitchen from the living room. Often in the morning we would awake to Jack missing. He was quickly discovered sleeping in the bottom kitchen drawer. I’m still baffled at how he found that spot!
            It wasn’t long before Jack was hopping over the gate and chasing after our cats. The cats – well, yes. Let’s see. My understanding was that cats chased after rabbits, not the other way around. As mentioned, we did have two pet rats at one time. They escaped only twice that I’m aware of. Both times the cats looked in the direction the rats were hiding and whimpered. Yes, whimpered! Jack chased the cats, especially Kolipoki, much to his mortification. Kolipoki seemed at a lost as to what to do except whimper. He never ever attacked that rabbit!  None of the cats did.
            Kolipoki and Kaymae (pronounced K-may) were brother and sister. They were Siamese mixed. I adopted them from a family in Salt Lake, March 2003 as kittens. Their mother was known as the slut of the neighborhood due to the constant reproduction of kittens. The family refused to get her fixed because she was always pregnant. They also did not believe in abortion and as a result the neighbors were always complaining. Koli, as he was more commonly known, grew to be large and robust, about 10 pounds. Kaymae maintained a slightly smaller 5 pounds. She was usually skittish and fearful of people until she was spayed. All of sudden we did not know this person-cat! She turned friendly and personable and with STRANGERS even! Instead of hiding in my room, she wanted to be with other people. She wanted to be petted but not held, of course. That would have been asking too much. We kept asking her, “Do we know you?”
            Sam was our sleek, black cat who found me in April 2004. He was an outside cat when he came into our lives but I think he belonged to another family at one time. He acted like a domestic cat. I was living in a house in Salt Lake City with a large yard that I was meticulous about.
When Sam decided that I was going to be his family I had just put Sassy to sleep. Sassy was a dog we had from our days in California - difficult decision but one that nonetheless had to be made. I then gave the other dog, Speedy, to my ex-husband. This way there was just the two cats and two rats. I was not looking for more animals. Period. Sam had other ideas. He started out by stalking me, watching while I hung laundry or worked in the garden. He hid unobtrusively under a plant or near the house. Whoa to any creature who ventured into the yard! He screeched and chased away all cats who wandered into his new-found territory. He brought me gifts of dead rats and birds that somehow found their way into the area. He was also emaciated. Kaymae was not yet spayed so Sam could not come inside. I put together a shelter on the back porch that he could go inside and eat. He ate but never stayed inside. I worked down the street about 5 blocks or so and the kids commented on where I lived. They said it was where the black cat sat.
My kids were living with their dad then. I was working 2 jobs, going to school full time and completing internship hours. I was never home. Still, Sam waited for me. Just about every night I arrived at 10:30. Many were the nights of heavy rain. Still, there he was, waiting at the front porch. He was neutered that following October and finally able to live inside. Sam grew into a healthy, opinionated boss of the home. This was now his domain. He was completely comfortable attacking others who invaded his space, including humans. Sam had no qualms about swatting anyone who passed by him without his permission or walked past his lighting as he basked in the sunlight.
So, there are 3 human beings and 3 cats living in this small space. We now had a creature that is fond of them and they didn’t know what to do! Jack could no longer be kept in the kitchen behind the gates. He was growing and hopping higher. The cats, of all things, were intimidated by Jack’s incessant chasing them. There had to be a humane solution to this. We gave in and bought a crate that fit snuggly under the kitchen table. He was let out now and then, mostly then.  
The novelty fell to the wayside and the smell increased. Thinking of his emotions of being cooped up for days on end, we made the decision to find a better home for him. We advertised on a local news website and within a couple of hours a home was found that could accommodate him better. Sadness and relief jumbled into one, we grieved for a couple of days and moved on.
As I gathered the information for this, I asked Brook, now a mother living in California, for clarification. Oh my! Again, she had me made out to be a fool! The truth of the matter suddenly spilled out as if, “Oh, you didn’t know?” She bought Jack for $50 along with a purse to hide him in. No one suspected a thing.  
For years I could not get into that drawer without thinking of Jack; all the while missing my children’s childhood. I think of their antics as I drive through town, especially my daughter’s since she was the perpetrator of so many! I can certainly appreciate the learning curve and find myself reminiscing through the memory of my teen years and the grief I put my parents through.
And while I do not condone Brook’s actions, I do not regret the experience. It lends a significant longing. Too, my kids knew that I would care for something no matter what; and if we honestly, truly, could not, we would find a suitable home for it. They knew that no matter what they do – right or wrong – I am safe.  People make mistakes. People learn from their mistakes. Hopefully, people will make better choices because of what they learned from those mistakes. Mistakes give us the precious experience to grow. Isn’t that what a successful life is about?  Kelli McDonald 6/2/12

No comments:

Post a Comment