Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Bass Lake and Pink Toilet Paper




The other day the kids got out the toilet paper and did what was only natural – they strew it around the house. I conned John into wrapping it back up. As he did so, the memory suddenly did a knee jerk back in time.
          My step-mom did the best that she could to raise us by setting good examples. She got upset when we did not do the right thing like any trying parent would.
The summer of 1980 we went up to Bass Lake in California. My cousin brought his friend, Dawn along. Dawn had her driver’s license. Like typical teens, we took advantage of the opportunity by driving into “town” on the opposite side of the lake. Lo and behold they were having a sale on PINK toilet paper – 4 rolls for 79 cents. Of course, when one is camping in the wilderness, one needs lots of         PINK toilet paper. We bought a whole lot of it, inconspicuously storing it in my uncle’s yellow pickup truck. PINK toilet paper is hard to hide but we somehow succeeded without any obvious suspicion.
          As the afternoon merged together with the evening we were getting antsy. Several family members enjoyed activities in each other’s camps. Sing-along’s were headed by my dad. He played his guitar and sang. Uncle Dean joined in with his harmonicas. In another camp, family was eating Aunt Marge’s cakes and gossiping. Her cakes were memorable because she used real cream frosting with a center layer of real fruit. I can still taste them after 30 years. Few have compared to hers since. Watermelon was the fruit of choice for others. My brothers took pride in how far they could spit the seeds – about the only time they could get away with spitting in public.
My cousin and his friend and I moved from one event to the next just waiting for all to go to bed. In an effort to cover our plan, we went to bed when everyone else did. Precariously we snuck out and had fun! My cousin’s camp got the brunt of it. Oh…we wrapped it everywhere – including the food -even wrapping ourselves in bed to avoid suspicion. My own family didn’t get as much – mainly because we ran out of toilet paper.
Not long after we finished, a group of motorcycles rumbled past our tents. One of the cousins swore they stopped to decorate our camp. She kept saying she heard them outside her tent-wishful thinking on her part.
In the morning we again roamed from camp to camp; again, trying to look as inconspicuous as possible. Not easy! One aunt, I think it was Olive gave me a direct look – eyes gleaming, “You kids did it.” Of course I protested innocence. I was never a good liar. “Yes, you kids did it” she charged with a confident smile.
Down at the other end of our row, my step mom was fuming. Totally humiliated, she kept saying how she taught me better.
In her younger years she and her friends were notorious for t.p.ing members of the Church, whether it was the bishop or the young, male missionaries. They had to be out of their homes early in the morning. Mom and her friends took great pleasure in decorating. To ensure a solid look, they would carefully water down the paper. The missionaries, dressed in 3-piece suits were required to keep their living environments spotless. Wet, soggy toilet paper melts into the grass making it nearly impossible to remove it. This often caused them to be late to their appointments.
So…I had a legacy to live up to. And I did not in her eyes. Basically I got into trouble for not spreading the PINK toilet paper around our camp better.  However, one look at my aunt and uncle’s camp said it all. After all this time the only thing that I feel true remorse for is the mess that my aunt silently cleaned up in embarrassment.
Once again though, my sweet little ones began the tradition by mixing toilet paper, water, and soap. At least this time it was in the sink. Uncle Johnny helped them clean it up while I cleaned up another mess of theirs.
Kelli L. McDonald
July 30, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment